|Seems a little naked back there, doesn't it?|
Ooh! I've been waiting months to use that line!
|Extreme close-up! The last bit of plain, unadorned plastic will soon be gone...|
As you can see, this evening's efforts have been directed towards HMSW Gargantua's aft hatch. As far as the structure of the model is concerned, this is the last bit - and I've been puting it off, mainly because I wasn't really sure what I wanted it to look like.
|Details and rivets start to go on... The underside of the chimney forms the canopy.|
Anyway, it's finally come together tonight. I decided some time ago that I wanted a very nautical feel, so I built a locking mechanism to suit using half of a plastic press-stud and a bit of wire. This kind of mechanism is, of course, correctly known as a trundley-trundley-clunk lock...
|A quick coat of paint...|
As I was suffering rivet withdrawal symptoms due to the shock of running out of plastic rod yesterday, I made sure to get a good dose tonight. Sixty-eight more, to be precise. It still surprises me sometimes to see the difference in depth and character a few such simple details can make. It's very satisfying to watch such a transformation take place as you work.
|The view from beneath...|
The girders protruding from the back will support iron tread-boards very similar to those of the chain bridge in the neck. (See: So Many Projects, So Little Time - 29th August, 2011). There will also be a handrail and a ladder. But first, all of what you see here had to be finished. I won't be able to get a brush in there once the final details are in place. Sadly, the red detailing is not as straight as I would like - I can't pick up and hold the model to paint details anymore, so I had to stand it on a table and work at almost full brush length. Awkward.
|Flywheel, chimney, aft-hatch and rear upper legs, from behind.|
So there you have it: one step closer to completion!
Rivet Count: 3,464!
All The Best!